April 2, 2009
Attention on deck! Daily photos are no longer being updated on The Dinghy Dock...

Visit my other blog,
"ORIENTAL DAILY PHOTO"
for my almost daily photos of Oriental/Pamlico County/ Local Waterways
...

Thanks for coming aboard!
-Capt. Ben

Friday, September 19, 2008

9.19- SkywatchFriday - Moonlight on the Neuse River


Waning gibbous moon shines through clouds over Neuse River
(click on image for full size)

Wednesday night I saw the moon shining through these neat cloud structures from my front yard... I ran inside, grabbed the Bogen and Canon Rebel and ran over to the fishing pier on the Neuse River at Lou-Mac park.

This shot was taken 120 feet from the shore on the end of the fishing pier, facing northeasterly. Locals and some of my regular blog visitors will recognize the promontory of land on the lower left as Whittaker Point.

Have a great Skywatch Friday everyone!

I look forward to seeing the other Skywatch pictures from around the world on the other SWF sites listed at:



Oh, by the way, here are the technicals:
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
ISO 1600
Exposure Time 5 sec.
F-stop 3.5
Focal length 18 mm.


-30-

13 comments:

Lilli & Nevada said...

Now that is a very interesting sky, well captured

2sweetnsaxy said...

Amazing shot. Can't believe the moon's light reflected on the water even through the clouds. Cool!

Capt. Ben said...

Island Rambles:

"Cannon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55 mm 1.35-5.6 II" is what it says on the front.

I like the range, but I think "18 mm" is a little deceiving... Widest angle (as in this photo) seems to me to be equivalent to about a 24mm or 28mm lens on an analog 35mm camera... I've been told the discrepancy I think has something to do with the size of the light sensor surface or some such, but I don't yet understand all that... I am still trying to cope with digital cameras with my analog mind.

Ta.

Woody said...

Thats an awesome shot!! Happy SWF

Arija said...

That is one scarry looking sky, all
those dark and ominous clouds...

AphotoAday said...

Wow -- what an unusual shot...
Super nice...

dianasfaria.com said...

so perfect, I love it. Moonlight is my favorite light.

Dirkjogt said...

Waw! Great picture, well done!

SaraG said...

Beautiful picture.

Connie T. said...

I love this picture, it almost looks like a science fiction backdrod. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Very moody and mysterious. The sky looks so close, and just slightly ominous. I love this photo, love the entire feel of it.

Dewdrop said...

Great capture, Captain Ben! Although, I am am afraid they aren't mammatus. Mammatus are my absolute FAVORITE clouds and they actually look like bubbles in the sky, or more true to name like mammaries, dangling from a cloud base. When you see them, you will know it.

You have captured an altocumulus, mackerel sky. Very cool clouds!!

For some amazing mammatus photography, check out Mike Hollingshead's site. He is an incredible storm chaser/photographer, with a nack for catching the most amazing perspective on a storm.

Capt. Ben said...

Thanks, dewdrop, for correcting my misidentification... it is kind of hard to match what I see in cloud descriptions & photos in weather books with what I see in real world.

Now I can see the difference, however... thanks for the reference to some excellent mamatus photos.