April 2, 2009
Attention on deck! Daily photos are no longer being updated on The Dinghy Dock...

Visit my other blog,
"ORIENTAL DAILY PHOTO"
for my almost daily photos of Oriental/Pamlico County/ Local Waterways
...

Thanks for coming aboard!
-Capt. Ben

Friday, September 12, 2008

9.12- Skywatch Friday - Look, up in the sky... It's Captain Ben!

Yours truly, up in the sky!

The picture above is less about watching spectacular skies than about the spectacular feeling of going into the sky...

Earlier this week I took a ride into the sky... well, 55 feet (17 meters) into the sky, anyway. Why I was there is explained below, in my posting of "9.08- Climbing the Mast" (scroll down to prior posting, or click here for the "post" page of that entry) so I won't repeat myself here.

I've been much higher in the sky before, of course, but never in a cloth chair hanging by a rope from a pole gently rocking back and forth with the boat below.

The sensation of being in the sky in that boatswain's chair was much stronger than I have had flying in an airplane, though not nearly so strong as I had jumping out of a flying airplane.

I have also never been this high up in Oriental... even the bridge from which I took last week's Skywatch photo is a few feet short of where you see me in this picture.

I think the dangling feet adds a lot to the experience... having solid matter (like a bridge) beneath one's feet takes away from the sensation.

Okay, enough about that... how about a picture of the sky itself? Here is what the sky looked like yesterday from the Oriental Yacht Club... I took this while standing on the narrow finger-pier that extends from the covered deck on Raccoon Creek:

See more views of the heavens from around the globe at:
-30-

17 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

Wow! That must be an amazing feeling to go up into the sky like that! But would I do it? Never! I'd rather watch someone else! Great pics!

Gerald (SK14) said...

marvellous picture of the sky over the yacht club - seeing folk climbing up masts makes me cringe as I it aches my neck to look.

Dirkjogt said...

Scary! You're not afraid of heigths, that's sure. Both great pictures.
About the 'Pfalz, Germany', I was there especially for wine tasting (100 Wein Probe). We needed several hours to taste all the 100 wines :-)) Of course we didn't taste them all. We made a selection and we bought 3 different sorts (48 bottles). We certainly will return to buy more.

Enigma said...

Both your images are incredible. You are far braver than me to be up on that mast! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I like both photos but the bottom one the best.

My Sky Watch Friday blog is at my
Canon Pixels
blog. If you have time I would appreciate your having a look at the sky peeking through the oak tree leaves./a>

AphotoAday said...

Great shot -- nice design...
But that type of work is a bit too exciting for me at my advanced age...

Jim Klenke said...

I think I would get dizzy just looking up to take your picture.

Louise said...

Sounds like fun. That second picture of the sky iteself is awesome!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Capt. Ben: I'm always pleased to visit you Sky show with such beautiful images. Glad you enjoyed your time in the Sky chair.

Rose said...

Better you than me up there, but it does make a nice shot...also like the one below it.

Woody said...

Really Cool Photo..
Thanks for sharing..

Tanya Breese said...

Wow, hang on tight! Great skywatch photo!

Nancy said...

I bet that is quite the view! Great pictures.

Country Girl said...

Oh, my gosh that looks like fun!! Nice shot, Captain Ben.

Mary said...

wow, not sure I would want to be up there, but I guess the view is great... love your skywatch photo!

Fish Whisperer said...

Very cool Sky Watch photos. Have a great weekend.
Cheers

Neva said...

I like the perspective in this! Not that I would want to be that High! Gerald and I agree on that!