April 2, 2009
Attention on deck! Daily photos are no longer being updated on The Dinghy Dock...

Visit my other blog,
"ORIENTAL DAILY PHOTO"
for my almost daily photos of Oriental/Pamlico County/ Local Waterways
...

Thanks for coming aboard!
-Capt. Ben

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

5.21- Harbor Serpent

Beautiful day here in Oriental. As Memorial Day approaches, more and more cruisers are passing through on their way North on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Today at 1:00 p.m. Oriental was hosting 6 sailboats at anchor in the harbor, and three boats at Town Dock.

From 052108


While sitting under the Mimosa tree by the Dinghy Dock (reading The Possessed, by Dostoyevski), I spotted this juvenile snake taking a breather amongst the rip-rap.

Water Moccasins are common in the harbor and creeks, but I think this may be some other water snake, possibly a Nerodia Rhombifer (Diamond-back water snake, non-venomous), because it would duck under the water before swimming... I understand Water Moccasins swim with their whole bodies floating on the surface, and I have seen snakes swimming in the harbor with their whole bodies on the surface and been told those are the venomous and dangerous Water Moccasins. Anyway, I'll show this around to the local experts to find out. If you know, please leave me a comment (click "Ahoy!" below this post.



-30-

No comments: