April 2, 2009
Attention on deck! Daily photos are no longer being updated on The Dinghy Dock...

Visit my other blog,
"ORIENTAL DAILY PHOTO"
for my almost daily photos of Oriental/Pamlico County/ Local Waterways
...

Thanks for coming aboard!
-Capt. Ben

Sunday, January 25, 2009

1.25- Trent's Body Shop, Swansboro, NC


Christmas lights still adorn the Southern Cross flag painted on the side of Trent's Body Shop

Today I drove Capt. Roy down to Swansboro so he could pick up his car after some body work at Trent's Body Shop.

The Battle Flag of the Confederate States of America is of course a common sight within the former confederacy, though I never saw many in Central Texas during my 20 years living there... but they were plentiful in East Texas.

Many folks tell me that the flag is only meant to proclaim pride in "Southern Heritage," and is not related to any racist ideologies... I have a hard time buying this line, as the flag was foisted by armed forces seeking to preserve the slavery regime of the Southern states... I similarly cringe at a host of "code words" such as "States' Rights" and "Southern way of life," which I invariably interpret as meaning institutionalized concepts of racial superiority/inferiority, apartheid, discrimination, and of course slavery.

But then again, I also have a hard time understanding why so many apparently peaceful and law-abiding boaters proudly fly emblems associated with piracy from their boats.

-30-

No comments: