April 2, 2009
Attention on deck! Daily photos are no longer being updated on The Dinghy Dock...

Visit my other blog,
"ORIENTAL DAILY PHOTO"
for my almost daily photos of Oriental/Pamlico County/ Local Waterways
...

Thanks for coming aboard!
-Capt. Ben

Saturday, August 9, 2008

8.9- South River


(Skywatch Friday 8/22/08 -- I just learned about Skywatch Friday, and this is my first attempt to participate... I hope it works. Old Wom Tigley at Skywatch Friday informed me that I could participate with old photos, so I am testing with this one I took over a week ago. In the future, I will try to do one for the current week, if not actually on each Friday.)

Today I took a trip across the Neuse River to South River with a neighbor in his Mako power boat.

As we crossed the Neuse, a squall moved in over Oriental and the Neuse River behind us, coming in from the northwest...

While we were enjoying sun in South River, things were getting pretty hairy along the route back, as the storm was spreading and moving our way.

Weather can get very nasty on the Neuse in a very short period of time: many a boater and fisher has died out there in surprise squalls.

Not being in a boat built for weather, we decided to tie up amongst the branches of a fallen oak tree along the shore to see how the weather developed... as lightning and thunder started moving across the river in our general direction, we stepped ashore and as it began to rain we rigged a lean-to with a tarp, just in case we got stranded in a serious down-pour.

I took this picture from the bank, looking back towards Oriental and the threatening skies.

While we waited, we poked around the river bank looking for arrowheads and other artifacts... My neighbor is an avid hunter of fossils, shark's teeth, Native American artifacts and other found treasures... found no "keeper" arrowheads (fragments only) but did see this very old loop of chain.

While wading in the shallow water, I became surrounded by a huge school of menhaden minnows swimming upriver. I stood there for three or four minutes as they swam past me en masse, and more were still coming when I walked back to shore.

As it turned out, we only got a little sprinkle for a while, then the weather cleared enough for us to get back in the boat and head back across the Neuse River and up Green's Creek to the boat's home dock across the creek from Oriental.

-30-

See more views of the heavens from around the globe at Skywatch Friday.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

welcome to sky-watch! you have great photos! thanks for sharing.

AphotoAday said...

Pleasureable set...

Anonymous said...

Nice addition to SWF

Jim Klenke said...

Those all are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Where have you been? These are stunning photographs. I am so glad you decided to join the group and let us all see what you have been doing with a camera. Nice work.

Canon Pixels

Faery said...

Now this is beautiful!, I LOVE this photo

Jane Hards Photography said...

Firstly welcome,

What a way to start. Lovely virtual journey through your beautiful images.

Kelly said...

Fabulous SWF photos! You're a Wonderful photographer! Great job!!!

Dirkjogt said...

Welcome to SWF. what a great entry. Nice photos from a gorgeous surrounding.
Dirkjogt, Belgium

Tom said...

Welcome aboard... I hope you find Sky Watch to your liking... I found your Sky Watch post very much to my liking and I look forward to seeing many more my friend..

Tom

Arija said...

What a masterful slideshow and informative comments. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Welcome to the skywatch family.

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Great set of photos, I feel like I've been on a little fishing excursion. Welcome to SWF. I'll devfinitely be back to visit next week.