April 2, 2009
Attention on deck! Daily photos are no longer being updated on The Dinghy Dock...

Visit my other blog,
"ORIENTAL DAILY PHOTO"
for my almost daily photos of Oriental/Pamlico County/ Local Waterways
...

Thanks for coming aboard!
-Capt. Ben

Friday, July 18, 2008

7.18- Pelecanus occidentalis (breed Orientalis)


A Brown Pelican (pelecanus occidentalis) takes wing from its perch on top of Pecan Grove Marina's private Marker #1 at the mouth of Smith Creek. Masts in the background are at Oriental Harbor Marina, across the creek.

Seems like I take a lot of pictures of Pelicans, but they are such cool birds. They always remind me of something that should be on Skull Island in "King Kong" (the original).

I took this picture while sailing around the harbor in a Bauer 10 foot Dinghy. I really wanted to get a picture of the bird perching, because they look like painted wooden carvings... in hindsight I was lucky it decided to take off just as I pointed the camera.

-30-

No comments: